Productivity and Organizing Tip of the Week
Get on Top of Your Paper Piles
If you follow my blog or get my weekly tip you’ll know we’ve talked about the importance of scheduling time to go through your papers on a weekly basis. Today I’ll share with you the most important tip to process your papers most effectively.
The Secret: Each time you pick up a piece of paper during your paper processing session ask yourself:
How can I make this piece of paper go away?
- Put the contact information into your smartphone – you’ll be able to find it when you need it and you won’t have to keep the card or scrap of paper
- Put the events on your calendar including details – you will know you have it scheduled and you won’t have to keep the flyer
- Make an Evernote – if you have a note with something you need to remember – put it where you can find it. As we talked about last week, EVERNOTE is a fabulous application that crosses platforms and can be accessed from your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
- Put a corresponding to-do on your task list and place the paper in your “working on now” pile
- And then there is always file, shred, and recycle.
When you reduce the paper in your office your productivity soars. The more paper you eliminate the easier each future weekly processing session becomes. Remember to ALWAYS ask yourself “How can I make this piece of paper go away?”
How do you make your paper go away? Please share @ http://www.ellenfaye.com/blog/.